Tuesday, March 16, 2010

About My FlyingBlog

There's not much to say about me but a lot to say about what I think about because what I think about is pretty cool. I hope you think so.
I am older but not old and in great health. I am a card carrying introvert who can talk (listen) to extroverts. My political information comes from books at least 20 years old. I do not read the newspaper nor watch TV except baseball and now there is a year round baseball channel for guys like me. I also watch HGTV because my wife does and Ellen show each morning before wok because my wife does. I have seen some pretty good chick flicks thanks to Linda. I do not watch fictional violence and I love comedies.
I have made a multitude of relationship mistakes in my life mainly because ... well... ignorance. So I feel well qualified to tell you what not to do and why you shouldn't do it.
Actually I think people suffer due to ignorance -- the ignorance of not knowing how not to suffer. And some think that if i hurt, ignore, or manipulate others then happiness will follow. Wishing to be free of suffering is our prime motivator and makes us equal. Also, that we came from mother makes us equal. The obstacle to changing how we try to be happy is not appreciating basic cause and effect and not understanding the real situation.
Luckily my major career goal since adolescence was to do exactly what I do now. In college I majored in Biology and chemistry. Chemistry was a waste of energy when compared to the literature, sociology history and especially philosophy courses that I could put to practical use. Anyway, my professors encouraged me to stay in biology but I have not left that science because I work with the most advanced animal species (some would argue with "most advanced").
I want to leave this world better than I found it and as a psychiatrist I have a wonderful opportunity to make a difference. I don't do much but my patients do the doing and that is very gratifying.
I believe in the power of now but it keeps slipping into the no longer happening. I believe the buck doesn't stop because no one is excluded. I have have been told that death and taxes are unavoidable. Now that I am no longer an atheist I believe that only taxes are unavoidable. I believe we should prepare for death as though are preparing for a vacation. I believe that the study of death will cause us to lead better lives.
My craving to understand life and why people do what they do grows each day. With no effort at all except for staying alive I have joined a large group of people that science know little about. Therefore, I am a pioneer explorer of my own psychology. There are no books to tell me how I am to view life.
This morning seems like yesterday though time is streaking by and this morning should seem like 5 minutes ago. I am finding out that time never moves - only things.
The stuff that ran my life is trying to catch up now but is no longer gaining because the stuff needs me more than I need the stuff.
I want to travel lighter with less baggage. In other words the all important details to me a decade ago are merely annoying irritants today.
I call dementia, the letting-go of trivia, I always find my glasses when I lose them so why worry about it. Where is the wisdom that's supposed to replace youth? The only wisdom thing I can think of is - beentheredonethat. To worry just doesn't make sense over 60 years old.
If I start writing about politics or entertainment in a serious vein you have my permission to take me away because it means I have become senile.
There are many reasons I like blogging. One reason is that I can start every sentence with I if I want to.
Stay tuned. This site will change as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment